Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Ciabatta with Week Old Poolish



I love ciabatta, and I've always thought of it as one of the classics, so I was suprised to learn that it was only recently developed in 1982 by a baker in Veneto, Italy as the Italian answer to the French baguette. I had this old poolish in my fridge that I had actually intended for some baguettes, so I figured I'd put it to good use with some ciabatta. This one is based on the formula in Hamelman's Bread, with some modifications to extend the rising time and a slightly different poolish.

Materials & Methods


Poolish:

AP Flour
Water
Yeast
Mass
120g
113g
1/16 tsp
Percentage
100%
94%
--


Dough:

B Flour
AP Flour
Water
Salt
Yeast
Poolish 
Mass
680g
100g
544g
18g
5g
233g
Percentage
87%
13%
94%
2%
0.6%
30%


Timeline:

--


1:30p




7:00p

7:30



9:30p
Mix the poolish and leave to ferment at RT for about 5h, then leave in fridge overnight and forget about it until the following weekend

Mix together the poolish and all of the remaining ingredients in a large food bin
Fold every 30m for an hour
Let rise at RT for 5-6h.

Fold once more then rest 30m

Roll out onto a floured surface & pat out into a large rectangle.
Divide into 4 loaf sized portions (~ 4" wide each)
Leave to proof at RT for 1-2h

Bake at 425F for 25-30m with steam

Results


I was super happy with the way this came out. The crust is thin but very crispy, while the crumb is soft, delicate and airy, with large irregular holes. The flavor was delicious too thanks to the extra long ferment on the poolish.


Conclusion


I think I need to make ciabatta more often. I will try with all bread flour next time. I just used part AP here absentmindedly & it seems like it might be a little too delicate & fluffy actually.



No comments:

Post a Comment