Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sourdough English Muffins


Introduction

Now that my starter is alive and active I have to feed it regularly to keep it happy. I really hate to waste food though, and you can only pass off so much on your friends and family (but if anyone out there needs some...let me know). So I have tried to keep the amount I discard to a minimum by feeding only once a day, and maintaining a pretty small amount (150g) when not in use. I also don't feed it on weekends when I am away, and it recovers well from these short visits to the fridge. Even mainaining it in this way I still end up with a couple cups (~500g) of leftover that I need to find a use for.

Lately we have been enjoying these Sourdough Pancakes on a pretty regular basis. They are great because they are made almost entirley of the spent sourdough & they keep well so you can have leftover pancakes for breakfast throughout the week. This weekend I wanted to try something different though so I gave this recipe for Sourdough English Muffins from the Wild Yeast Blog a try.

Materials & Methods 

  • As usual I didn't quite follow the directions. I had some buttermilk and wheat germ in the fridge so I figured those would make nice additions.


AP Flour
WW Flour
Starter (100%)
Milk
Buttermilk
Wheat Germ
----
AP Flour
Salt
Baking Soda
Sugar
Mass
320 g
200 g
210 g
352 g
200 g
3 T
----
150 g
1.5 t
2 t
2 T
Percentage
48%
30%
31%
52%
30%
-
----
22%
-
-
-


Timeline:

8p


9a






10p
Mix the first portion of the ingredients and leave to ferment/rise overnight.

Add the remaining flour, salt, sugar & baking soda and mix briefly until you have a smooth dough. It will be pretty wet and sticky.

On a floured surface, pat down the dough to about 1/2 to 1" thick. Cut out muffin sized rounds, cover & leave them to rise for about 1 hour.

Bake on a medium hot griddle for about 15-20 min flipping every few minutes to make sure they don't get too dark.



Results

I was pretty impressed with how well these came out. The first few were kind of massive and got a little too dark by the time they were cooked because they were so thick. I made the rest thinner and turned down the heat some and they were just right. The muffins split well with a fork and are full of little nooks &crannies just like they are supposed to be.

Conclusion

Considering all of the starter and the additional buttermilk I was surprised these weren't more tangy than they were. Not that they weren't tasty, I just expected more of a sour kick. Maybe that will develop with time. This recipe made 13 muffins so there are plenty leftover and I am definitely looking forward to having these for breakfast this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment